Saturday, September 25, 2010

Fantastic Animation Festival (1977)


Directed by Dean A. Berko
My rating: 3 stars out of 4
IMDb
(VHS, Meda Home Entertainment)

One of the earliest compilations of animation and still one of the best. "French Windows" kicks things off accompanied by Pink Floyd's "One of These Days", which had me cranking the volume way up. I'm not sure any of the remaining shorts reached the same heights, but I was thoroughly entertained by them all. "Cosmic Cartoon" was mindbending, "Moonshadow" tells the story of Teaser and the Firecat from a Cat Stevens album cover, "Bambi Meets Godzilla" is a classic introduced here for the first time and Will Vinton contributes a couple of his trademark claymation pieces. The Meda tape I watched was misframed and had washed out color, but it didn't matter. Hopefully one day this will get restored and reissued in its original glory, though music rights will be tough to overcome so it might never happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment