Monday, July 26, 2010

Six Pack (1982)

Directed by Daniel Petrie
My rating: 2.5 stars out of 4
IMDb
(DVD, Anchor Bay Entertainment)

I wanted to dislike this film, by all appearances a dreadful "family comedy" starring Kenny Rogers of all people. He is a poor actor and his character an unlikable womanizer. I wanted to hate all six kids, including a foul-mouthed little brat right out of the Bad News Bears and the cute youngest kid with a lisp. The plot centers around stock car racing, which I find about as exciting as watching paint dry. Many scenes take place in trendy country bars with line dancing. There is a hit song, "Love Will Turn You Around", repeated ad nauseum throughout the film. Somehow, against all of these negatives, I was won over. Perhaps it was the time period, the early 80s, which is when I was in high school myself. Perhaps it was the setting, the South, where I grew up, including some scenes in Biloxi, Mississippi. But probably it was Diane Lane, who at 18 was exactly my age in 1982, and the stuff of teenage fantasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment