Saturday, December 25, 2010

The Curse of the Cat People (1944)


RKO Radio Pictures
Directed by Gunther von Fritsch and Robert Wise
My rating: 2 stars out of 4
IMDb
(DVD, Warner Bros)

The last time I watched this movie I was very impressed and made a note to watch it again near Christmas. I pulled it out this year on Christmas Eve, but have to wonder what in the world I saw the first time around. The acting, in particular, was forced and unnatural. I can understand the child actors having this problem, but it extended to the adults in the film as well. I noticed the film has two directors, one German, and have to wonder if there was some kind of language barrier between the main director and the actors. The precocious little Ann Carter, who plays the moody Alice Reed, spends most of the movie staring into space in an attempt to look thoughtful. Her parents don't know what to do with her, especially when she starts telling stories about a lady in the garden that nobody else can see. Simone Simon is probably the bast part of the movie, her ghostly Irena providing the only memorable moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment