Wednesday, December 29, 2010

A Prairie Home Companion (2006)


Directed by Robert Altman
My rating: 1.5 stars out of 4
IMDb
(Sundance)

I'm only a casual fan of the radio series, but I had heard enough that I looked forward to seeing Garrison and company live and in person, so to speak. I also like Robert Altman and his unconventional style of film making. Unfortunately this was crushingly disappointing and a big, long bore of a movie. I blame the actors, big names all, for some trite, annoying characterizations. Streep and Tomlin's Johnson Sisters were particularly offensive: air-headed country bumpkins that made me angry every time they appeared on screen. They endlessly babbled about their dear old mama while Streep completely failed in a poorly disguised Dolly Parton imitation. Then there were Dusty and Lefty, two wisecracking cowboys who tell dirty jokes on stage. Woody Harrelson cements his place as possibly the worst actor currently appearing in movies. I could single out others, but surprisingly not Lindsay Lohan, who was fine as the depressing teenager who gets her big chance on stage. It's more or less a plotless, meandering account of a typical radio show, with some silliness about an angel wandering around the stage guiding people to heaven to meet their maker. And why was Kevin Kline even in this movie?

No comments:

Post a Comment